Because I freakin' LOVE my job!

I didn't really decide to write this because I wanted an audience. I love to share my highlights (and lowlights) with anyone who will listen. While I never expected that I'd be teaching preschool, I know that this is where I'm supposed to be. If you're reading, thank you for your interest in experiencing my sheer and utter joy :)

Monday, November 7, 2011

Kids are freakin' smart.

I just got home not too long ago from a trip to Las Vegas!!! Went to see grandma for her birthday, saw some cousins that I haven't seen in ages (they're only in their early teens and already my height or taller. I should have drank more milk as a kid...), and ate lots of Filipino food. Life is good ;)

Anyway, I saw a high school friend and her 3 kids (all of whom I happen to be Godmother to).
Okay, so between this house visit and seeing my family, I got to talking about work and being with so many children. These kids are dang smart. They're funny, charming, honest, and joyful. I LOVE BEING AROUND CHILDREN (not in a creeper kinda way HA HA, I'm sure you know this :P).

These three kids were talking to me with such clarity and charisma, adults often forget what kids are truly capable of. I learned that kids can accomplish so much on their own, as long as adults provide the opportunities for them to be independent

Parents like to hold onto the idea that their children are their "babies," so they'll do things like pour their milk, open chip or cookie bags, fold their blankets, etc. But kids want to do those things for themselves! Or at least try to. And if they complete a task, it gets them to try other new things & take initiative. Instead of waiting for someone to TELL them what to do, they'll make choices to do things on their own.

That's why I KNOW that preschool is such a critical time in any person's life. If kids aren't socializing at that age, if they're not making friends, not trying new things, that's concerning and a strong indicator of what they'll be like in grade school. 

Blah, blah, blah... My point is that KIDS ARE INSANELY BRILLIANT. Give them the chance to show it to you. They'll amaze you.


No comments:

Post a Comment