Because I freakin' LOVE my job!

I didn't really decide to write this because I wanted an audience. I love to share my highlights (and lowlights) with anyone who will listen. While I never expected that I'd be teaching preschool, I know that this is where I'm supposed to be. If you're reading, thank you for your interest in experiencing my sheer and utter joy :)

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

You don't know me!

I really need to get this off my chest!

We had a sub in our classroom and he has a very dry sense of humor and more sarcasm than I care to deal with (and I consider myself a very patient person).

The kids were trying to finish some turkeys that they were making for Thanksgiving, and being that the last day of school is tomorrow, we were trying to crank them out ASAP!

While it would be nice to send the turkeys home in time for the holiday, I also knew that Thanksgiving would go on without them, so I wasn't in a panic.

I'm giving the sub instructions about cutting the feathers, body, feet, etc. and I list off the students who have not completed the project yet. Then I say, "If we don't get to all of them, then I guess they just have to wait until Monday to bring the turkeys home." He started laughing and said, "I mean, it would be nice to have it for the holiday for their parents. I know you don't care because you're not a parent or anything. But, as a parent, I would like to have something like this. I like this kind of stuff."

The audacity!!!!!! I was appalled. Fool, you don't know me!! I would risk life and limb for my kids, without a doubt. Rather than waste my energy being upset, I let it go. There are some things in life that just aren't worth raising your blood pressure for. And this man was one of them.

OK, I'm done venting.
Thanks for listening to my ridiculousness :P

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, the inevitable "you don't have kids so you wouldn't understand" comment. In all my years of teaching, this year was actually the first year I heard it - explicitly, come out of a parent's mouth. I understand your anger in the moment and applaud your patience with the guy. =)

    P.S. I don't know what kind of program you're in but I thought this was a worth quote to share, "Art is not a receipt for child care".

    ReplyDelete