Because I freakin' LOVE my job!

I didn't really decide to write this because I wanted an audience. I love to share my highlights (and lowlights) with anyone who will listen. While I never expected that I'd be teaching preschool, I know that this is where I'm supposed to be. If you're reading, thank you for your interest in experiencing my sheer and utter joy :)

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Chuckie??? And purple dinosaurs (I'm not talking about Barney)

This is one of those "Wha??" stories...

I was sitting outside with the kids before we transitioned to nap time. We were just talking about movies and whatnot, then one of the kids said, "I watched Chuckie at my house." I said, "Wait, what??" And she said, "Chuckie." I told her, "That's scary. I don't think you should be watching movies like that. You're too little to be watching those kinds of movies."

One of the other girls were sitting with us and she was shaking her head in disagreement. She says, "Chuckie mataron senores con cuchillo." (Roughly translated: "Chuckie kills/murders girls with a knife." OH MY GOODNESS. I had to tell them, "We don't talk about those things at school. Those movies are too scary."

Just LOOK at him.


Why on earth would you want to expose your little child to something as horrendous as CHUCKIE?? It boggles the mind. I don't know how those kids sleep at night.

------------------------------------------------------

We have these purple dinosaurs in our playground that look just like these:


One of the children walked past a dinosaur while it was bobbing back and forth (another child was probably riding it or just got off of it). You can guess what happened... the kid got hit on the head by the mouth of the dinosaur and started to cry because he was startled. 

He came over to me and asked for an ice pack, "The dinosaur hit me right here!" pointing to the left side of his head.
and then he put it on the right side of his forehead, and I said, "I'm sure it was an accident." Then I looked at where he had the ice pack and I said, "Wait, I thought it was on the other side?" So he slid the ice pack to the left side of his head.

A minute later, he stopped crying and said, "I feel better now." The area was just a little pink and I said, "I want you to keep this on for just a little bit longer." I thought he would just sit on a bench or something, but he got up and started walking. I asked where he was going and he said, "I want to apologize to the dinosaur." I told him, "But the dinosaur hit you, you don't need to say anything to him." So he didn't :) 

God, kids are funny.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Chuckie!! You know if you watch him now, he's really not that scary? ;-)

    I've found that there are so many things children are becoming de-sensitized to. Very grown-up things. Several of my children used to say things very matter-of-fact like that too when it came to violence. A fellow teacher attributed it to their home lives and neighborhood conditions. Wow, right? I wonder what the girl would've said if you asked her what "murder/kill" means to her and how that might make her feel?

    ReplyDelete